Saturday, July 12, 2008

pure music collage

LOCAL SCENE: Pure music collage
GIRL TALK HITS BOULDER WITH HIS MIX OF ALMOST 300 SONGS ON ONE CD


By WENDY KALE Colorado Daily Music Writer




Gregg Gillis loves his pop music. He just prefers to mash-up all the sounds into a DJ party mix that is quickly becoming the hottest ticket in concert halls and on the Internet. Using over 300 classic-pop samples, Gillis has created a 50-minute show that incorporates his pop-music passion into a high-tech, party-centric concert. The buzz is on about Girl Talk and Friday’s Fox Theatre show sold out in advance.


Girl Talk is also breaking news in the world of downloadable CD sales. Gillis decided to let his fans digitally download his new record “Feed the Animals” via a “pay what you want” plan on www.IllegalArt.net. The CD will be officially released on Sept. 23 and it’s also slated to come out on vinyl.


“I got into avant-garde and electronic music when I was in college,” said Gillis. “I did go into the field of biomedical engineering, but I treated the music as my career. I started by dabbling in retexturalizing pop – I started sampling music and kept manipulating it. I wanted to create something original and I wanted to try something new. I picked the name Girl Talk, so it would sound like a very glossy, poppy project.”Gillis’ brand of “cut-and-paste” remixes started catching on with underground music fans, but the Internet was the primary force behind Girl Talk. The DJ’s knack for fusing pop tunes and turning them into experimental, electronic mixes helped Gillis create “new” songs through the world of technology. The DJ also became known for his outrageous stage antics and his knack for turning dance and concert halls into full-fledged parties.




source - http://www.coloradodaily.com/news/2008/jul/10/girl-talk-one-hour-of-intense-music-pure-music/


nice article for computer music :-)

No comments: